From "LOMBART Christophe" <Christophe.LOMB...@sword-technologies.com>
Subject RE: Why not using Lenya
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:53:17 GMT
Hi St├ęphane,

Well, this is only my point of view and I'm not the Leyna expert so maybe some     arguments
are not correct. Hope to see some Leyna experts in this thread.

Yes, we can add this kind of info in a FAQ.

Here is my arguments :

* Leyna is build on Cocoon. Graffito is build on simple POJO components which can run anywhere.
We are supporting by default Spring and PicoContainer seems to be not a problem. Is it possible
to run Leyna outside Cocoon ?
* Leyna is focusing on CMS. We want to provide (in long term) more features (DM,  Forums,
...) . See the architecture diagram below. It should be nice to see in Graffito some  predefined
portal applications like News management, forum, document manager, page editor, ...
* Graffito will be the default CMS solution for Jetspeed 2. Cocoon & Jetspeed  are not
really compatible. Furthermore, it should be nice to have a CMS implementation for the Jetspeed
2 page manager - Is it possible if we will use Leyna ?
* We are building some JSR-168 portlets. Is there desired by the Leyna team ?

I'm agree there are certainly common point between both products like workflow,  JCR support,
... . If Leyna team is agree, why not to create somethink like a CMS common area ?

Concerning the JCR support, we want to maximize the abstraction on the repository. JCR is
certainly a very nice spec but it is too low level API. I can't image to use the JCR object
model (Node, Item & Property)  in some portlets, jsp pages, ... I prefer to use CMS objects
like Folder, Forum, Thread, News, Article, ... If a new spec is comming later, we want to
minimize the impact on the application domain. That's why the JCR integration should be made
with a simple content repository plugin. It is make sense for the Leyna team and also for
you ? I think it is important to debate on that topic.

Anyway, it is a common question for the ASF. Why Trapestry, Struts, Turbine, Cocoon. Is it
not the same stuff to make web apps  :-) ?

Regards,
Christophe

Here is the Graffito architecture :

Graffito clients :
  JSR 168  Portlets   - Web apps - EJB's - Spring components - ...
               ^                                   ^
               |                                   |

               |                                   |

Graffito Container (Spring)

1. Application domain components
         GraffitoForum             GraffitoNewsManagement

              GraffitoBrowser

                     GraffitoKM         CustomApplication
                   GraffitoDocManagement

2.   Services
3. Persistence Service

   (= virtual content tree which groups together different kind of content store)
   There is a pluging for each type of content repository
   We have a "propriatary store" based on OJB and we want to build one for JCR

     OJB plugin         Webdav plugin         JCR plugin            Propriatary plugin
   Repo1               Repo 2                    Repo3