From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject absence
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:05:56 GMT
Team,

Im sorry for my unexcused absence.
Been finishing off a book for Manning (Portlets in Action) and the last
10 days have been basically write, eat, write, write, sleep, write ...
Also had a project deadline mixed in there

In the book, I wrote about Graffito
I had limited time, and I followed a pattern I used on my project:

* override the Graffito interfaces that I needed
* don't use the pluggable persistence architecture
   (i found this too complicated for my time alloted)

Not perfect, but at least we are now going to be in print soon

So I overrode:

ContentModel - store content on file system + relational DB for metadata
ContentSearch - integrated with Lucene, worked great
ContentServer - provide Graffito normalized URI

I *know* this didn't follow our architecture completely, but at least I
got back to using Graffito again.

 From it, I developed 3 portlets:

1. CMS Tree Browser
2. CMS Document Viewer
3. CMS Search Portlet

I need to decouple these from my specific implementation
The coupling is very very low, they look for specific properties from
document.getProperty such as hitrate on a search.
Hope to contribute soon

Also, saw that Christophe is writing similar portlets with Velocity
I really prefer Velocity, so thats great
My portlets used JSP because the tree view browser was integral, and I
was working with Jeremy and he wrote the Jetspeed-2 tree browser so we
went with that. Actuallly it looks very nice, and now supports lazy

So thats my status
Hope to start contributing by next week and can't wait to try out
Christophe's new portlets

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software