From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Inconsistencies in TestXXXStore
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 14:13:59 GMT
Hi Ferdy,

Having worked to understand what the tests comprise of I share your view
that stuff like "assertPutArray" is extremely ambiguous, hence putting up
large barriers to actually understanding what is going on where and for
what reasons.

I suppose if you have some idea of how you would like to see the tests
re-factored then it might be best to get it out in the open as it would
also help me to visualize how we can progress with this. I'm really keen to
clean this up as it is going to become a larger and larger problem if and
when we are able to implement the Accumulo & Solr stores.

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Ferdy Galema <ferdy.galema@kalooga.com>wrote:

> Hi Lewis,
>
> The last time I seriously looked into the Gora tests I was quite surprised
> by its complexity. That is that all store tests derive from
> DataStoreTestBase and also set a specific GoraTestDriver. HBase in
> particular makes it even more difficult by using different frameworks for
> its tests; TestHBaseStore uses HBaseTestingUtility and the mapreduce tests
> (which you recently split into two classes) uses the HBaseClusterTestCase
> class.
>
> I am not sure why it is set up the way it is now, but it at the moment it
> does not suffice. Therefore I think we need to simplify DataStoreTestBase
> (get rid of GoraTestDriver?) and document all of its methods (certainly the
> public ones). After DataStoreTestBase is clearly defined, all tests can
> derive from this class. (If they want to use utility functions than these
> can simply be put into external utility classes). Only then it makes sense
> to discuss about differences between datastore test implementations.
> Because at the moment I simply do not know what for example
> "assertPutArray" does or should do.
>
> Ferdy.
>

> On 01/18/2012 12:28 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Does anyone have comments or thoughts on this one?
>>
>> I'm kinda confused...
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney<
>> lewis.mcgibbney@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> Whilst working on the Cassandra tests I've been having a look at
>>> TestHBaseStore [1] and TestSqlStore [2].
>>>
>>>  From what I can see the following seems to indicate quite a high degree
>>> of
>>> inconsistency between the existing module tests
>>>
>>> from TestHBaseStore:
>>>
>>> assetSchemaExists
>>> assertPutArray
>>> assertPutBytes
>>> AssertPutMap
>>> testQueryEndKey - currently skipped and has been reported as HBASE-5090
>>> testQueryKeyRange - currently skipped and has been reported as HBASE-5090
>>> testDeleteByQuery - currently skipped and has been reported as HBASE-5090
>>>
>>> from TestSqlStore:
>>>
>>> testDeleteByQueryFields - currently skipped as we need implement delete
>>> fields in SqlStore
>>> testDeleteByQuery - currently skipped as comments mention HSQLDB hangs
>>> for
>>> this test and we need to solve or get another SQLDB for the test suite!
>>>
>>> I'm quite confused as to how, or what is exactly going on.
>>>
>>> Is it possible for anyone to clarify this please, thank you in advance.
>>>
>>> Lewis
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/**incubator/gora/trunk/gora-**
>>> hbase/src/test/java/org/**apache/gora/hbase/store/**
>>> TestHBaseStore.java?view=**markup<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/gora/trunk/gora-hbase/src/test/java/org/apache/gora/hbase/store/TestHBaseStore.java?view=markup>
>>> [2]
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/**incubator/gora/trunk/gora-sql/**
>>> src/test/java/org/apache/gora/**sql/store/TestSqlStore.java?**

--
*Lewis*