From Ioannis Canellos <ioca...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1227229 - in /incubator/gora/trunk: ./ gora-cassandra/ gora-core/ gora-core/src/examples/java/org/apache/gora/examples/mapreduce/ gora-core/src/main/java/org/apache/gora/query/impl/ gora-core/src/main/java/org/apache/gora/store/ gora
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 19:48:33 GMT

> I wonder if it is possible for you to sum up what benefits this adds
> to Gora, I'm more interested in client interaction e.g. Nutchgora
> branch...

I am afraid that I don't know that much about nutchgora, so I will give a
rather general answer.

The value that OSGi brings to the table is its:

   - Modularity
      - Add, remove update modules.
      - Multiple version of modules possible.
   - Service Platform that makes sense
      - Dynamically, add, remove, listen for services.
      - Managed services.

How do all these fit into gora or applications using gora?

Inside OSGi one could switch between stores on runtime (e.g. switch from
using gora-cassandra to gora-hbase on runtime, with no downtime). Or switch
to different stores of the same type. Or modify on the fly the
configuration of a store etc.
He could be able to spawn / destroy stores, without needing to redeploy the
application.
Additionally, he could update any of the gora dependencies  or even gora
itself.

I could go on for hours but I think you get the picture. Its all about
building dynamic applications.

Moreover, it would allow gora to integrate with projects already running
inside OSGi. Personally I would like to build a camel component for gora,
but there are more projects from the OSGi world that would like to
integrate with gora (I think I saw mail about amandatu in the dev list).

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**