From Enis Söztutar <enis....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Taking notice of community comments
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2011 22:56:21 GMT
Hi,

I think we should keep the .gitignore files, and revert the commit for
this. The git/svn flame wars is still very hot in members@, but even if we
will not have read/write git access, we will always have at least read-only
git access at git.apache.org. Some people (like me) prefer to use git as
their main tool, and we have a git repo at
git://git.apache.org/gora.gitthat we should support. Besides, the
release CAN and SHOULD include the
.gitignore files for git to work correctly.

Normally, we do not need more than the top level .gitignore, but since for
the build to work with ant, we needed those empty dirs at
(gora-xxx/lib-ext, etc), and since git does not track empty dirs, the
default way to add them to repo is to add an empty .gitignore. Now that we
have switched to maven, we probably do not need some of those dirs, so I
propose to revert the commit, and selectively do remove the ones not
needed. One more reason to revert the change is that the patch for issue
GORA-63 seems to be accidentally committed at
gora-core/src/main/java/org/apache/gora/compiler/GoraCompiler.java.

Lewis, are you using the git repo. If not, I can do the changes if you
prefer.

Thanks,
Enis