From Lewis John Mcgibbney <lewis.mcgibb...@gmail.com>
Subject Towards Graduation
Date Sun, 20 Nov 2011 17:01:51 GMT
Hi,

I've been monitoring the ongoing discussion (namely Luciano Resende's
recent thread) regarding progression through the incubtor, and can't help
but think about how Gora is moving as a project, where we want to move
things and how much effort is required to get some activity going again.
There is a small but important area of interest from Ferdy and myself on
the Nutchgora front, however I'm quite concerned about the interest in the
community and the subsequent barrier this is creating to attract more
user/dev/commiters!

Gora was discussed at general level at ApacheCon, with some reasonable
interest from traditional database guys, some Cassandra committers were
also interested so it is obviously a project which not only has real
potential but also solves a justified problem.

As Gora has been in the incubator since 26/10/2010 (along with some 44
other projects) we have seen an unprecedented level of projects entering
incubation, of which many are still there. So although there are underlying
issues with the entire incubation model, I think it is extremely important
for us to initiate discussion regarding our roadmap/strategy as we move
forward. We have seen 2 releases during the incubation period which is
excellent, but I am very interested to understand where we are going and
which major issues need to be dealt with before 0.2 can be released or on a
more important note where Gora needs to be to even consider graduation.

Thanks for any comments which add to conversation here.

--
*Lewis*