From Enis Söztutar <enis....@gmail.com>
Subject Proposal to change the build tool and project structure
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 18:07:00 GMT
Hi guys,

I know we have discussed this previously in Maven vs Ant+Ivy flame wars, and
the consensus was staying with Ant+Ivy, and keeping Maven artifacts.
However, looking at the recent list of issues, and dev threads, I seems
unfortunate that because of the build system that we have right now, builds,
tests, nightlies and releases are becoming a major problem. And it is sad
that most of the dev effort goes to the build system instead of improving
core Gora.

Initially, I had setup the project organization to be modular with and
Ant+Ivy setup, which I guess, served well to this day. But since I cannot
spend much effort for maintaining the build, and most of the active
developers are more comfortable with Maven, I guess it is time to simplify
things a little and solve this build problem once and for all, so that we
can spend more time focusing on core features.

So what I am proposing is to have a volunteer for the build system who wants
to maintain the builds, and completely switch to Maven, and possibly getting
rid of the modular structure, and go with a one-module organization. Having
a modular project is great, and releasing different artifacts for hbase,
cassandra, sql, tutorial, etc is the preferred way, but again, it may be
causing more headaches. The volunteer maintainer will develop the patch(es)
for completely switching to Maven, and will oversee the build-related
issues.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Enis