From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Semantics of deleteByQuery
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:34:15 GMT
Hi,

I'm working on GORA-9, and I'm confused about the semantics of
DataStore.deleteByQuery. My question is motivated by
DataStoreTestUtil.testDeleteByQuery(), which is failing for me.

So, that's what I could figure out about deleteByQuery so far:

* In CassandraStore it's apparently not implemented. Bummer.

* In SqlStore it seems to consider only the range (or a specific value)
of primaryKey-s, regardless of fields that the query specifies. I.e. it
deletes whole rows.

* In HBaseStore it seems to consider both the primary key (value or
range) AND the fields, and deletes only from columns that match
specified fields, thus leaving partial rows. I understand that this is
motivated by the need to set some Persistent properties to null. But
isn't this in conflict with the semantics of SqlStore.deleteByQuery,
when query contains not all fields?

Additionally, delete* operations seem to imply a subsequent flush() to
persist the changes, because subsequent execute() or get() is expected
to yield no deleted rows.

Anyway, we need more docs :) even a javadoc clarification of the above
would help a lot.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><