From Benjamin Heitmann <benjamin.heitm...@deri.org>
Subject Possible bug when resetting aggregators ? (and missing documentation)
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 19:15:37 GMT
Hello,

I had to use aggregators for various statistic reporting tasks,
and I noticed that the aggregator operations need to be used in a very specific squence,
especially when the aggregator is getting a reset between supersteps.

I found that the sequence described in RandomMessageBenchmark (in the org.apache.giraph.benchmark
package)
results in consistent counts for one aggregator across all workers.
The most important thing, seems to be to call the reset method setAggregatedValue() in preSuperstep()
of the WorkerContext class,
before calling this.useAggregator().

If I called the reset method in postSuperstep(), then every worker reported a different value
for the aggregator.

However, the aggregator which gets the reset between supersteps, still is wrong.

I know this, because a second aggregator counts the same thing, and reports it after each
superstep,
without getting a reset.

Is this a known issue ? Should I file a bug report on it ?

In addition, it would be great to document correct usage of the aggregators somewhere.
Even just in the javadoc of the aggregator interface might be enough.

Should I try to add some documentation to the aggregator interface?
(org.apache.giraph.graph.Aggregator.java)
Then the committers can correct me if that documentation is wrong, I guess.