From Avery Ching <ach...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Possible bug when resetting aggregators ? (and missing documentation)
Date Wed, 02 May 2012 22:30:22 GMT
I think you're right that the javadoc isn't specific enough.

    * Use a registered aggregator in current superstep.
    * Even when the same aggregator should be used in the next
    * superstep, useAggregator needs to be called at the beginning
    * of that superstep in preSuperstep().
    *
    * @param name Name of aggregator
    * @return boolean (false when not registered)
    */
   boolean useAggregator(String name);

This should be augmented to say that none of the Aggregator methods
should be called until this method is invoke.  Feel free to file a JIRA
and fix.  Thanks!

If you would like to, please feel free to add Aggregator documentation
to https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GIRAPH/Index

Avery

On 5/2/12 12:15 PM, Benjamin Heitmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had to use aggregators for various statistic reporting tasks,
> and I noticed that the aggregator operations need to be used in a very specific squence,
> especially when the aggregator is getting a reset between supersteps.
>
> I found that the sequence described in RandomMessageBenchmark (in the org.apache.giraph.benchmark
package)
> results in consistent counts for one aggregator across all workers.
> The most important thing, seems to be to call the reset method setAggregatedValue() in
preSuperstep() of the WorkerContext class,