From Claudio Martella <claudio.marte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Estimating approximate hadoop cluster size
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 17:26:40 GMT
As Avery put it, it's difficult to estimate the memory footprint of
your graph. On one side you will have probably less memory footprint
due to usage of compact generic types for your Vertex, compared to the
amount of data required to persist them as Text on HDFS. I.e. it takes
4bytes to store 10000000 as an int but much more as a unicode string
on file. On the other side keeping a vertex in memory also means
keeping in memory the related data-structures, which is also another
story to estimate.
In general, i think it should be made quite clear that Giraph and
Pregel were designed for scenarios where you can keep your graph and
the messages produced in memory. That's what it makes them so fast. If
your graph is >> your memory, you better just stick to mapreduce which
is exactly designed for this. After all, your  computation will be
dominated by disk I/O, so there's not so much you can take advantage
from Giraph and Pregel, even when out-of-core graph and messages
implementations will be ready.

Hope this helps,

--
   Claudio Martella