From Avery Ching <ach...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Changing Graph Size
Date Sun, 22 Jan 2012 22:30:58 GMT
Hi Deepak,

Answers inline.

Happy sunday!

Avery

On 1/22/12 11:30 AM, Deepak Nettem wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a Graph processing problem where after each iteration, some
> vertices get vanished. That is, they get merged into their
> neighbouring nodes based on certain conditions and the graph keeps
> getting simplified after each iteration.
>
> I was wondering if Giraph is worth trying for this.

Giraph can support this graph mutation at any iteration in the graph.
See
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/giraph/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/giraph/graph/MutableVertex.java,

the method r emoveVertexRequest() will remove vertices for you between
iterations.

> I was going through the documentation and it says that the input data
> has to be sorted.Why is this necessary?

Ouch, this used to be a requirement, but no longer.  You can load
vertices however you like.  The workers will forward them to the
appropriate partition.

> Also, how does the  so called 'master' divide vertices in ranges? Does
> it use some kind of a range partitioner? If there is range
> partitioning, that's a problem for me, because of vanishing vertices -
> there will be load imbalance.

Again, out of date documentation.  Please see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GIRAPH-11 for the relevant
change.  Let us know if you have any other questions.