incubator-giraph-dev mailing list archives

From Timmy Wilson <tim...@smarttypes.org>
Subject Graph clustering via LinLog force directed layout
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 14:28:00 GMT
Hi giraph community,

I'm interested in using giraph for distributed n-body simulation.

Initially, i'm interested in force directed layouts -- ie, graph drawing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force-based_algorithms_(graph_drawing)

I'm interested specifically in Dr. Andreas Noack's LinLog energy model
-- which performs well w/ community detection:

http://www.informatik.tu-cottbus.de/~an/GD/linlog.html

I have a few examples of a serial implementation here:

http://www.smarttypes.org/

The model maximizes the distance between all nodes while minimizing
the distance between connected nodes.

Without getting into too much detail, i'm curious if anyone has
considered using giraph for force directed graph embedding (yet
another name for it)?

I'm also considering something like http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/ or
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~scandal/alg/nbody.html -- which have fast
n-body simulation implementations (Barnes-Hut + Fast Multipole).

That said, i think giraph may be a good fit -- curious what the
community thinks?

Thanks,
Timmy Wilson
Cleveland, OH