incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Drop requirement that ASF members can join IPMC by just asking
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2019 21:28:50 GMT
On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 12:04 AM Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Current any ASF member can come along and ask to join the IPMC. I assume
> this was put in place for two reasons: ( but don’t know the full history
> behind it)
> - There was a lack of mentors.
> - Is is assumed that if you are an ASF member you know enough about the
> Apache Way to mentor a project.

The latter, definitely. I don't recall if the former is true.

I'm -0 on removal of the precedent.

I will also note that if the IPMC switches to *voting* Members into the
IPMC, that the Apache Member will be observing that vote take place on
private@ through a subscription (they can reply!) or via the archives. ...
A vote in front a person is never going to be Fair. There is a natural
misgiving to speak out against a person, to their face. You will likely not
get the -1 votes that may be deserved.

Cheers,
-g