incubator-general mailing list archives

From Willem Jiang <willem.ji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Drop requirement that ASF members can join IPMC by just asking
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2019 04:32:22 GMT
+1 , we need a binding process to let the member know better about the
Incubating.
For me, even I attend serval Apache projects before I start mentoring
incubating project, there are still lot of thing I need to learn.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 1:04 PM Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Current any ASF member can come along and ask to join the IPMC. I assume this was put
in place for two reasons: ( but don’t know the full history behind it)
> - There was a lack of mentors.
> - Is is assumed that if you are an ASF member you know enough about the Apache Way to
mentor a project.

> I’m not sure if this is the case anymore. And while the mentor situation has improved
I don’t think the above has solved the problem of having active members or mentors having
the required knowledge and skills they need.

> So if you want to be a IPMC member and mentor a project then I think you need you have
gone through the full incubation process yourself and/or help out with other incubator duties
and get voted in as an IPMC member. Just like every other ASF project.