incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] IPMC votes on releases
Date Sun, 11 Aug 2019 11:32:26 GMT
Hi,

> I see no problem with using our infrastructure to distribute F/OSS
> materials. Why would the Foundation want to be against that? If it is
> labeled properly, then ... roll with it.

It often isn’t labelled properly.  There’s a reasonable risk that some of what would be
placed there and distributed isn’t actually F/OSS. I can point you to several example of
this. I’m not sure how the incubator (or the board) would feel about that risk, so that
would be something we would be need to consider further. Also while Jane and John may be fine
with that, a lot of companies that use Apache releases may not be.

> You're conflating *learning* with *releases*. These can be handled separately.

How exactly? I’m well aware of the pedagogical (and in particular the andragogical) implications
here. I can expand on that or point you to relevant research if you want.

Thanks,
Justin