incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Drop requirement that ASF members can join IPMC by just asking
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2019 05:04:25 GMT
Hi,

Current any ASF member can come along and ask to join the IPMC. I assume this was put in place
for two reasons: ( but don’t know the full history behind it)
- There was a lack of mentors.
- Is is assumed that if you are an ASF member you know enough about the Apache Way to mentor
a project.

I’m not sure if this is the case anymore. And while the mentor situation has improved I
don’t think the above has solved the problem of having active members or mentors having
the required knowledge and skills they need.

So if you want to be a IPMC member and mentor a project then I think you need you have gone
through the full incubation process yourself and/or help out with other incubator duties and
get voted in as an IPMC member. Just like every other ASF project.

What do other people think?

Thanks,
Justin