incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <w...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Drop requirement that ASF members can join IPMC by just asking
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2019 23:42:40 GMT

> On Aug 12, 2019, at 4:29 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:26 PM Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I will also note that if the IPMC switches to *voting* Members into the
>>> IPMC, that the Apache Member will be observing that vote take place on
>>> private@ through a subscription (they can reply!) or via the archives. …
>>
>> Which is also the same for any project who votes in a ASF member as a
>> committer or PMC member.
>>

> I would counter that any project which creates such a bar for ASF Members
> may be doing it Wrong :)
>
> (this goes into my general feeling that projects generally need to lower
> their bars, and become more inclusive)

I really think that we have long precedent to do most of what we need to do already in place.

I’m -1 on this proposal. I think it is a bad idea. It is so bad that I would seriously think
about volunteering here less.

Just think about how many VOTEs we would need to do when a Podling comes in. Think about all
the pro forma votes and discussions about people. BORING!

Frankly, I’m quite surprised that this is even being proposed.

Regards,
Dave