incubator-general mailing list archives

From Antoine Toulme <anto...@toulme.name>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Tuweni 0.8.1
Date Sun, 21 Jul 2019 16:13:01 GMT
Acknowledged. We will fix those issues in the next release.

> On Jul 19, 2019, at 21:02, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> +0 (binding)
>
> This release includes Category X software (which is incompatible with ALv2) and it's
not following the terms of the GPL license. While this thread [12] indicates incubating releases
can include Category X they still need to follow the terms of the included licenses.  This
is also dependent on the incubator being “special” and it releases allowed to not confirm
to policy (unlike other TLP projects) this is this still as yet to be confirmed/allowed.

> I checked:
> - incubating in name
> - disclaimer exists
> - LICENSE has a few minor issues
> - NOTICE is fine
> - Includes Category X licensed software [4] It also looks like these files [6][7][8][9]
come from [10][11] and are also GPL licensed.
These are coming from the ethereum tests repo. I think we will find a new way to package sources
without those tests and check out the git repo at test time then. Does that work?
> - No unexpected binary files
> - A few source files (.sh and piton scripts) are missing headers (how I came across [4]),
would be good to add them.

> In LICENSE I noticed that:
> - This file [1] is under ALv2 but they have modified the license [2] and added an extra
condition (top of file) so may not be ALv2 compatible. Please check with legal discuss.
Both web3j and Tuweni took this class from the Bitcoinj project. The file mentions its origins.
I can change the header as needed.
> - There files seem to have incorrect headers [1][3] as they have not been licensed to
the ASF. I believe they should have the AL 3rd party header.
Got it, will fix, thanks!
> - The license mentions the ProgPoW algorithm but it unclear where it’s being used.
I assume here [5] but there's nothing in that file that indicate it contains 3rd party code
or that it’s CC0 licensed.
OK we will fix.