incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Podlings, the Incubator, relationships and Apache
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2019 05:45:00 GMT
FWIW, I reconcile it as:

Incubator is a PMC and must record a business decision to call something an ASF release in
order to place that release under the legal protection of the ASF.  ASF releases may have
policy non-compliance issues.  No TLP can decide on its own to never comply with policy.
But the business decision of the costs of delaying a release to correct non-compliance vs
risks of distributing a release with any non-compliance is up to the TLP.  VP Legal will assert
a risk profile for any non-compliance and VP Legal or any ASF Member or PMC Member should
try to stop a release if a TLP decides to distribute something highly risky.   But it is up
to any TLP.  Including the IPMC.  And so the Incubator can do whatever it wants within limits.
 Any of us should protest if the IPMC starts allowing releases with high risk.  But with the
disclaimer and -incubating suffixes, the risk of many non-compliance issues are low, even
CatX and binary inclusions.

Whether the incubator needs to have a secondary vote is not required by the above.  IPMC members
could drop in on the podling vote thread.  Podlings with 3 active mentors that vote on the
podling's vote thread could be deemed sufficient.

My 2 cents,
-Alex