incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New disclaimer text
Date Sun, 14 Jul 2019 01:49:51 GMT
It looks like we are closing on agreement to have (at least) two disclaimers. Now we need to
discuss naming. [1]

Two big choices here:

DISCLAIMER.txt for both versions of disclaimer; or

DISCLAIMER.txt for the current standard disclaimer and some other name for the new disclaimer.

If we choose another name:

DISCLAIMER2.txt
DISCLAIMER-X.txt
DISCLAIMER-L.txt

The advantage of keeping the same name for old and new disclaimers is there is no need to
change existing tools. But I'd argue that this violates the principle of least surprise. If
someone is reviewing a release, possibly with the idea of redistributing it, they see DISCLAIMER.txt
and think they know what it contains, but it does not. Oops.

The advantage of changing the name with changed content is it highlights that this is not
the same disclaimer we all know and love. Which means the person (or AI bot) reviewing the
release is going to raise a flag to be looked at in more detail. At that point, the reviewer
(or human overseer) will notice that the content is different and the release needs to have
more scrutiny. Of course, the disadvantage of this is that tooling will need to change to
accommodate the new disclosure.

If we go down the path of changing the file name, I'd probably lean toward DISCLAIMER-X.txt
which sounds a bit scary until you read the disclaimer which is much more scary than the file
name.

Regards,

Craig

[1] The two hardest problems in computer science: cache invalidation, naming and off-by-one
https://martinfowler.com/bliki/TwoHardThings.html

> On Jul 12, 2019, at 7:04 PM, Dave Fisher <wave4dave@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> +1 if as discussed earlier we enhance both disclaimers to include a link to the podling
status page where the podling will provide the most up to date details.

> We can discuss a new Git based status page in a separate thread. I’d like to change
from the xml/secret yaml files in svn to a straight up markdown file in Git.

> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jul 12, 2019, at 5:44 PM, Sheng Wu <wu.sheng.841108@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> +1 from me to have two disclaimers, chosen by podings.
>>
>> Also, +1 from me, the one they chosen should stay in website and
>> announcement.
>>
>> Sheng
>>
>> Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>于2019年7月13日 周六上午9:37写道:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> +1 Works for me.
>>>
>>> It will need to be made very clear to podlings that different rules apply
>>> depending on what disclaimer they have.
>>>
>>> Would this also please to the disclaimer on their web site and in
>>> announcement emails?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Justin
>>>
>>> --