incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Podlings, the Incubator, relationships and Apache
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2019 05:09:54 GMT
Hi,

> Although not a "real" PMC, we do need to provide legal protection for each PPMC and distributing
releases is the time that most legal considerations "kick in" as it were. So we need a clear
"paper trail" of approvals for that PPMC to enjoy the legal protection the foundation exists
to provide. The IPMC vote, since the IPMC is, in fact, a true PMC, provides that legal provenance
such that, should anything untoward happen, we can clearly show to outside legal entities
corporate provenance without having to try to explain the intricacies of podlings, and PPMCs
and PMC and et.al. :-)

Which while I don’t disagree with, again I ask how can a PMC (i.e the incubator) make releases
that are not in line with policy? Current advice seems that the board would not grant a blanket
exception like to the IPMC and we couldn't get consensus on submitting such a request to the
board last month. So is it just a mater of refining that board proposal or is it a matter
of changing the remit of the IPMC to make it clearer or even changing that the IPMC it is
a TLP?

> Let's also recall that the origin genesis of the Incubator was NOT to provide legal oversight

That may be the original thought, but historical threads bring up legal oversight very very
early on. (I posted one from 2004 the other day). Hopefully someone can explain this history?

Thanks,
Justin