incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Cookbook and duplication of content on incubator site
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2019 22:33:42 GMT
Hi,

>  I just want to mention some issues people are often confused:
>
> * How to vote on a release.
> * What is the template for a VOTE thread of a committer.
> * Which actions need what kind of consensus.

All of these are clearly documented. See for instance [1], [2] and [3] but each project is
going to do things slightly differently, there are guidelines not binding rules. Understanding
why we do things in a certain way is the hard thing and that is not documented very well (with
a few notable exceptions e.g branding)

> It could be nice to add such information in one place.

Different bits of information belong to different groups so it’s unlikely to all be in one
spot, doing so causes duplication of information and that can easily get out of sync and cause
confusion.

> On the other hand, we should have a guideline for mentors too. Including
> responsibilities of them, how to mentor a podling project.

There is this [4] but I agree it could have more detail as the practical aspects of being
a mentor.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://incubator.apache.org/policy/incubation.html#releases