incubator-general mailing list archives

From Matt Rutkowski <mrutkow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache OpenWhisk graduation to Top Level Project
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2019 18:40:56 GMT
For my part (and OBO IBM), have gone out of my way to transfer worldwide trademarks (and domain
names, including openwhisk,org) to the ASF working with our IP and legal teams and caused
a complete product rename as we entered Incubation.  There is no intentional use of OpenWhisk,
any that appears is legacy and if IBM control I promise to do my utmost to fix and resolve.
 In some cases, and IMO it is desirable to acknowledge and credit Apache OpenWhisk as both
the basis for the Serverless platform, as well as providing the programming model (components)
used in development and deployment.

Again, there is nothing IBM is trying to do intentionally to give the appearance of owning
the name OpenWhisk.  As mentioned, I have begun acting on the GitHub project listed where
I know the owners (and trying to locate the others, but snce github names do not map to real
names this requires some work).

-Matt

On 2019/06/09 13:37:47, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I conclude that all are left over from before the project entered the Apache Incubator
and the period of transition that followed.

> I though that was the case bur was just checking. But beauty IBM need to be respectful
of the trademark and the (P)PMC make sure they do that.

> > The github projects in the IBM organization appear to not be maintained actively
>
> This is a potential trademark issue IMO and I suggest you discuss it with trademarks
what to do here, previous experience there are usually renamed or removed.