incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Podlings, the Incubator, relationships and Apache
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2019 23:57:56 GMT
Hi,

> The Incubator itself is a PMC.

OK that's sorted.

> Now let's talk about podling releases... When the IPMC votes on accepting a podling release,
and it passes, my opinion is that the Incubator takes on the resultant legal obligations associated
w/ any PMC doing a release. Now the podling releases themselves are noted and described as
"not GA" and "not official", et.al. but this is, again IMO, simply to make it clear to anyone
who is downloading and using the software that the expectations normally associated with "regular"
Apache releases do not apply, such that there could be some licensing issues, etc, that would
be verboten in "official" releases, but may exist here. In other words: this is a podling
release; expect issues and mistakes and churn.

Except it's not, as it seems the IPMC doesn’t need to abide by what other PMCs need to abide
by when making releases :-) (Which is ironic given the IPMC is tasked with teaching and passing
that knowledge on.) And that policy exception is not documented anywhere. :-) Nor has the
board, to my knowledge, approved such an exception. Yay! So how is a voted on PMC release,
an act which make it official, is not an official release? Do you see how this might be confusing
or open to a board range of interpretations?

Thanks,
Justin