incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Zipkin (incubating) version 2.14.0
Date Sat, 18 May 2019 22:57:44 GMT
HI,

> maybe you can open source the tools you use justin.

I spoken about it at many ApacheCons and provided "them" here on this list. Calling them tools
is probably an exaggeration, It’s nothing complex.

Here’s the tool I used:

search copyright | sort -u

(Where search is "find . -type f -exec grep -i "$1" {} \;“)

I then look at the files it finds to see if they match with what is listed in LICENSE.

Sometime I might do a few more searches like "search BSD" or "search MIT” or “search general
public license”. I didn’t in this case.

Do note that this will not catch the case where a header had moved or altered or code been
minified. Tools are there to just help and will not find everything. If you want something
more comprehensive I suggest you setup Fossology [1].

> you seem uncanny ability to find glitches, yet also have an ability to
> ignore note in the vote request mentioning known issues.

None of the issue I mentioned where mentioned in the vote as from what I can see?

> start helping instead of finding faults. you are the reason incubator is
> not something anyone wants to go through

I am helping, you’ll note a) I voted +1 b) provided feedback that will improve your next
release.

The incubator is here to help, if you want things checked in a release before you vote on
it then just ask here. If you want to try out a new process or change how you vote on something
then you can discuss it here.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.fossology.org