incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache NetBeans (incubating) as a TLP
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2019 05:55:54 GMT
On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 12:41 AM Justin Mclean <justinmclean@me.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >> - What the situation with https://netbeans.org website?
> >
> > That question is too open-ended. What is your concern?
>
> No specific concern other than a general branding one. It’s slightly
> unusual for a podling to graduate with it’s previous website still in
> existence.

For (large) pre-existing communities, Branding has stated their existing
site is Proper. That we should not gum up the works, and force a change.
Nascent communities have been required to move their locus.

That said: the prior site is allowed for downstream users. The *community*
needs to move to *.apache.org. We have three sites currently operating
under non-apache domains: openoffice.org, groovy-lang.org, and netbeans.org.
(mighta missed one, but beside the point) ... each of these are to support
past/current communities, and have received a +1 from Brand to do so.

We also have a counter-point where the established subversion.org/com/net
decided to forgo those, and redirect all of them to subversion.apache.org.

Infrastructure is kind of a gateway on domain handling. We've seen this,
and we work with Brand. I would describe the issue as "Communities MUST
construct their presences as FOO.apache.org. For historical purposes they
MAY maintain $BAR-DOMAIN." ... Infra has shut down many requests for
projects wanting non-apache domains. Totally uncool.

Cheers,
-g