incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Changes to Website and Marking As Obsolete SVN Version of Incubator Website
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2019 09:04:09 GMT
On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 10:12 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <
bdelacretaz@codeconsult.ch> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 7:37 PM Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> > ...I’ve been reviewing the incubator’s svn repository. In order to avoid
> confusion I am going to
> > add README.txt files to directories (eg. [1]) which are now obsolete,
> but not obviously so....
>
> How about moving them under an OBSOLETE folder instead?

With Subversion, the content will always be there. Moving them to an
OBSOLETE folder is kinda silly. Just delete the stuff, so *current*
checkouts don't pick up the content.

A single, top-level README.txt indicating what "significant" directories
were removed, and in what revision ... now *that* would be helpful. It is
somewhat difficult to discover deleted directories in svn, even though
they're sitting right there in history. ... But a README can say "removed
../site/ in r$FOO because we moved our site content over to
$gitRepositoryURL"

So, rather than OBSOLETE, or multiple README, I advocate a single top-level
README that details the deletions/reasons. Then just do an svn rm.

Cheers,
-g