incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Responsibilities and Improvements (was: Re: Whimsy general@ subs check
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2019 21:37:49 GMT
Hi -

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 6, 2019, at 1:18 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> 1) Removal question and its allowance in general:  this question asked
>> during every talk I gave related to ASF. My fellows ask me if someone can
>> remove Committer or PMCs. Some folks think it is possible by the vote of
>> PMC.
>
> The PMC may vote on it but only the board can remove a PMC member, they have been reluctant
to do so in the past, and I don’t think they would remove people for being inactive. The
PMC can remove committers but it’s extremely rare.

Probably this is in the low single digits (maybe only once) over 20 years and the over 300
projects that have been Apache projects. Several Directors have been known to attempt to heal
projects where removal is being forced.

People have voluntarily gone Emeritus and/or Resigned after discussion.

If a project has a “commit war” then it has other issues ... seek help for that case and
you will get it.

>> Here I need some general understanding which I can use for
>> answering questions.
>>
>> 2) Inactive members removal: Lack of active PMCs member makes me thinks
>> that at some point some removal will be necessary.

Lack of active PMC means other issues including a project that might no longer be viable.

Forcing people out is almost always bad for the community.

> Merit doesn’t not expire and only the board can remove PMC members, a project could
ask for removed but only the board can actually remove them. In general there's no issue in
having inactive member and they may decide to become active again.

Exactly, I’ve disappeared for a year or so twice in the 11 years since I was voted a PMC
member on my first Apache project.

> Some time back there was an attempt to clean up any project which mentioner the 6 month
inactivity thing, not all of them were caught.

Project Bylaws are actively discouraged.

Regards,
Dave