incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] introduce "[DISCUSS]" threads for podling non-ASF release candidates
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2019 21:26:48 GMT
Hi,

Nice idea. JFYI - This already happens, just not in a formal way, as I often get emails to
check podlings releases before they bring them to the IPMC.

> I encourage reviewers to review a release candidate, and vote, as early as possible in
the 72 hour voting period. I also encourage them to review and vote even if there have been
-1 votes, because they might find other issues that the previous reviewer(s) missed. Because
these practices speed the process along, and even if the first RC fails, get to a good second
RC as soon as possible.

As we all are volunteers here, and for instance my $dayjob(s) doesn’t involve this, it can
be hard to find the time, especially with other things going on. I also tend to hold off voting
on podlings I've voted on before and know are good and wait until enough mentors have voted
on those. Unless we removed the requirement of an IPMC and replace it with somethings else
(and there have been suggested on other lists) I cannot see this part of it improving without
more involvement from mentors or the IPMC in voting on releases.

Thanks,
Justin