incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Zipkin Brave Karaf (Incubating) version 0.1.2
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2019 06:02:24 GMT
Hi Adrian/Justin,

We are discussing the wrong points. The clear question is what is MavenWrapperDownloader.java
and why does it need to be in source release? It doesn’t.

The Zipkin build instruction should include the installation instructions for MavenWrapper.
[3]

Adrian will that work for Zipkin?

Regards,
Dave

[3] https://www.baeldung.com/maven-wrapper

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 13, 2019, at 6:07 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Sorry but it’s -1 (binding) as it contains compiled code (a .jar) [1], an ASF release
must consist of source code only. The other issue are minor IMO and can be fixed in a future
release.

> I checked:
> - incubating in name
> - signature and hashed correct
> - LICENSE is fine
> - NOTICE has some minor issue (see below)
> - All source files have have headers
> - An unexpected binary file in source release [1]
> - Can compile from source
>
> Re NOTICE did you project come to the ASF in 2016? Who did it come from, and if the headers
were changed to ASF ones then they should be mentioned in NOTICE.

> Should this file have an ASF header? [2] Where did it originally come from? Answer to
this question may mean that some changes to LICENSE and HEADER are required.

> Re the maven wrapper jar several project have run into this issue and have managed to
resolve it without including the jar. You should be able to find them with a search of this
list. BTW A warning that rat didn’t pick this up and it seem it doesn’t follow directories
with a dot in front of them.

> While i can compile it looks like the build assumes the code is checked out of GitHub
and you’re not compiling the source release as I get a lot of these: