incubator-general mailing list archives

From VP Brand <vp-br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Cava] Suitable name search
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2019 11:55:37 GMT
Wearing my VP, Brand Management hat:

The fields of use are sufficiently close that I would not be prepared to
approve the use of Apache Cava as a project name.

I strongly recommend that a new name for the project is chosen *before*
the podling is created as renames create large amounts of work for our
Infrastructure team.

That said, if the project wants to keep the Cava name then there are

1. If Kava agree to the use of the name Cava and a co-existence
agreement is signed then I would be willing to approve the name.

2. You can appeal my decision to the ASF President (and ultimately to
the Board).

Mark
VP, Brand Management

On 19/02/2019 22:33, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Jim,
>
> The potential conflict is a small San Francisco blockchain software comp[any called kava.io
<http://kava.io/>.

> Regards,
> Dave
>
>> On Feb 19, 2019, at 5:50 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>>
>> +1 keeping as-is.
>>
>>> On Feb 18, 2019, at 1:28 PM, Antoine Toulme <antoine@toulme.name> wrote:
>>>
>>> First, a heartfelt thank you to all for participating in this discussion.
>>>
>>> I am tempted to keep Cava _for now_ given this late feedback, and proceed to
proposing the project.
>>> To be more precise, I recommend we get the project into the incubator with this
name. We can change the name of the project 3 to 6 months in.

>>> We have so far received significant interest from the Apache community and others,
and it looks like we can go from there.

>>> John, good point on this website, kava.io. I note the company is named Kava Labs
Inc. and their GitHub is Kava-Labs.
>>> https://github.com/Kava-Labs
>>> It also looks like their code is in the crypto domain, but more on the interchange/wallet
side and written in Go and TypeScript.
>>> I’ll add them to the list when performing the suitable name search item on
Jira.

>>> I am going to give everyone 48 hours to voice strong opinions against this approach.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Antoine

Indra’s net (or Indra

of all the other