incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steve Lawrence <slawre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil (incubating) 2.3.0-rc1
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2019 12:09:54 GMT
Thanks Chris. The Daffodil devs agree that the issues you found are not
blockers and will be fixed for the next release.

As a reminder to the IPMC, Daffodil really only has 1 active mentor so
will likely need another vote from a non-mentor for the VOTE to pass. We
would greatly appreciate it if the IPMC could take a look.

Thanks,
- Steve

On 2/26/19 2:26 AM, Christofer Dutz wrote:
> Changing my vote to +1 (binding)
>
> I found the reason for the failing tests on Mac and Windows ... the root cause was the
different locale and the way numeric values are encoded.
> In Germany we separate the 1000s with "." and the decimal part with "," and in the US
it's the opposite way.  If I enforce the locale en_US and increase the memory, then all except
one test succeed.
> The one failing test is still related to this locale thing, so I guess this is something
that has to be documented and should not qualify for blocking this release.

> So I would request to add suggested settings of "SBT_OPTS" to the readme for further
releases as with the current documentation it's impossible to build.

> Haven't tested the binary distributions though ... however with some help of the community
I have successfully updated my PLC4X dynamic drivers that greatly utilize Daffodil to the
maven artifacts of 2.3.0

> Chris
>

> ´╗┐Am 23.02.19, 17:11 schrieb "Steve Lawrence" <slawrence@apache.org>:
>
>     That's for all the response from everyone so far. We'll make sure to fix
>     the KEYS issue for the next release. DAFFODIL-2070 [1] was created to
>     track that issue, and we plan to fix it in the next release. Other
>     comments inline.
>
>     On 2/22/19 3:45 PM, Christofer Dutz wrote:
>     > Hi all,
>     >
>     > I have started verifying this release ... however this is the first time I am
validating a project I'm not directly involved in.
>     > So I found some things that are different than with the other projects (Not
sure if this is bad or good though)
>     >
>     > So here goes:
>     > 1) No KEYS file (Think this has been reported)
>
>     Ticket mentioned above, we plan to fix this for the next release.
>
>     > 2) No README and RELEASE_NOTES in the RC directory
>
>     We have a REAMDE.md in the root directory of the source release and the
>     convenience binaries. And we've been maintaining releases notes on our
>     website. For example, the release for this are at
>     https://daffodil.apache.org/releases/2.3.0/
>
>     Looking at a few other random incubator release candidates, I don't see
>     a README or RELEASE_NOTES in their directories, so maybe this isn't
>     required, and the readme in the source and release notes on the webpage
>     is sufficient?
>
>     > 3) There are sha256 and 512 files ... is it OK to have the sha256 ones? I remember
us having to remove less "save" signature files

>     We've recently removed md5 and sha1 for this reason. I haven't yet heard
>     the need to remove sha256, but I'm fine doing that if that's the right
>     thing to do.
>
>     > 4) Is there a reason, why the "RPM" file is "2.3.0.incubating" instead of "2.3.0-incubating"
(dot instead of a dash).

>     The tool we use to build RPMs is very particular about versios and
>     filenames RPM standards. Those standards require the dot instead of the
>     dash. It also requires the -1 at the end as well.
>
>     > 5) It was impossible to import the GPG Key from pgp.mit.edu or any of my known
key servers (did it manually)

>     I've had a lot of troubles getting keys from pgp.mit.edu, always seems
>     to be down for me. I have uploaded it in the past for previous releases,
>     so it should be up there when the server works. But I'm unable to
>     confirm right now--I get "service temporarily unavailable" errors.
>
>     > 6) The PGP key used to sign doesn't have a valid trust chain (but the signatures
check out and refer to an apache email address)

>     I haven't been able to attended any key signings or anything to get
>     someone to sign my key. Something on my TODO list to get done.
>
>     > Formal download, hash and signature checks: All OK (see GPG remark)
>     > - I was able to download all artifacts
>     > - All 256sha hashes are valid
>     > - All 512sha hashes are valid
>     > - The signatures in the ASC files check-out (no trust chain though)
>     >
>     > Now to the source-bundle checks:
>     > - Was able to unpack the zip
>     > - Zip name contained "incubating"
>     > - Archive contains: DISCLAIMER, LICENSE, NOTICE, README(.md)
>     > - There is no RELEASE_NOTES (Think this is required)
>
>     As mentioned above, we maintain this on our website and in the release
>     files. I'd prefer to not have to maintain two separate versions if
>     having it there is sufficient.
>
>     > - Content of the README.md:
>     > 	- I it states the user list to be: user@daffodil.apache.org, however I'm subscribed
to users@daffodil.apache.org
>     > 	- I think the ASF HipChat was replaced with Slack (Don't know if it's still
active)

>     Good catch. I've opened DAFFODIL-2073 to resolve these issues. I'd
>     prefer to fix these in our next release if these aren't considered
>     blockers. Our website does mention the correct email address.
>
>     >
>     > Building
>     > - Mac 10.14.3, SBT 1.2.8, Java Oracle 1.8.0_141-b15:
>     > 	- sbt compile (success)
>     > 	- sbt test (got out of memory errors, did a 'export SBT_OPTS="-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
-XX:MaxPermSize=2G -Xmx2G"' first to make it run)