incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unapproved Sharding Sphere releases
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2019 21:44:20 GMT
> On Feb 7, 2019, at 11:02 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/INFRA/issues/INFRA-17289 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/INFRA/issues/INFRA-17289>

> The old repository was moved to the ASF and logically that should also have moved the
legacy releases.

Doh! I learn something new about git every day. My assumption all along was that the contents
of the repository were to be copied, leaving the old repository/web-pages/releases intact.

Larger discussion: Is there a reason for projects coming into incubation to have the old repository
moved (i.e. renamed) instead of being copied? I cannot think of a good use case for moving
versus copying. Seems like any project that had releases and a community outside Apache would
want to copy, not move.

Smaller discussion: Should the JIRA have been written to request copying/forking the project?
Or is this something that is supposed to be self-serve. I could not find a definitive answer
to this.

Craig

> There are tradeoffs between moving / renaming and cloning. What moving the repository
means is that technically there is no old repository or project.

> Prior “Non-Apache Releases” are attached to the repository and come along. What to
do? I think we have to accept these, but mark them appropriately as deleting them would be
for the project community during transition.

> Regards,
> Dave

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation