incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <justinmcl...@me.com>
Subject Re: How to review so-called "binary releases"?
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2019 07:25:48 GMT
Hi,

> I have a quick question from a podling's perspective, should the
> decision for release convenient binaries be left to PPMC or IPMC?

If the binary are based on source that have been approve as an offical releases there are
no issues, just take care to comply with branding and trademarks.

If it based on unreleased code then more care needs to be taken, it can’t be offered or
advertised outside the developers and needs to be clearly labeled. The important question
to ask is “If a user came across this, could they think it was an Apache release?” If
the answer is yes then more work needs to be done.

IMO only the PPMC needs to be involved, the IPMC may take a look and suggest room for improvement.

> Besides [1], I think it is also better to add it to [2]. I noticed it
> uses "binary distribution" rather than "binary release”.

Binary distribution would be the correct term.

Thanks,
Justin