incubator-general mailing list archives

From Julian Feinauer <j.feina...@pragmaticminds.de>
Subject Hello World / CRUNCH Framework
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2018 10:11:40 GMT
Hi all,

I just joined the incubator ML and wanted to present myself and possibly also start a discussion
about a software project we developed in the past.
But first things first. My name is Julian Feinauer and I come from Germany where I run two
“start-up” companies where we work a lot on the “industrial IoT” topics, data science
and processing of “larger amounts of data”. We love open source and so we love the ASF.
Most notably, I closely follow the Apache Calcite project and hopefully find some time soon
to contribute a bit more than in the last monts. Futhermore, I am engaged in the (incubating)
PLC4X project as (P)PMC and in the  (incubating) Edgent project where I try to “revive”
the community as new (P)PMC together with Christopher Dutz.

Now to the real topic. Over the last 3 years I started to develop a “Framework/Library”
(currently a set of jars) to facilitate processing of timeseries data. The focus is mostly
on processing of data from test stands, e.g., automotive tests, driving profiles and so on.
Furthermore, in the recent year we added a lot of functionality for processing of “industrial
data”. This means that we want to make it easy to analyze things like “how long did the
machine spend in this state”, “when are the following set of bits set” or “nofity
when the following conditions is true for the first time”.
It is a bit technical and I don’t want to go too deep into it, but generally speaking we
try to introduce the “right” semantics to answer the typical questions when analyzing
machine or test data. This project is called “CRUNCH” and we are in the process of making
it open source (will be moved to a public github repo in this year) under the Apache 2.0 License.

As there can be seen a close relationship to other (incubating or TLP) projects we are thinking
about if this project could fit into the incubator. Some examples for Apache projects that
we see as “related” are Apache Flink (which we can use as the Streaming Engine to process
the stream), (incubating) Edgent which we also can support as Streaming Engine and where we
try to find a suitable project goal and community currently as some of the (P)PMC members
retired or went inactive. Finally, CRUNCH has a very natural fit with PLC4X because it can
directly process the data gathered form PLCs (and in fact we are already using it in some
of our projects that way). I had several discussions with some of the (P)PMCs of PLC4X, namely
Sebastian Rühl and Christpher Dutz wo encouraged me to introduce the project to the incubator
because they also see some potential for the project to enrich the OSS ecosystem with regards
to edge / stream processing of (I)IoT data.

So please feel free to ask questions or discuss your view on this topic as I would like to
find out if this project could fit in the Apache Ecosystem and the Incubator or not.

Thank you already!
Julian