incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jmcl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Changing requirements for IPMC
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2018 21:48:20 GMT

Hi,

> Yes, and commitment is the key. The IPMC can fix this if we take some examples.
>
> (1) We have elected non-members to the IPMC. I was one. We should be more active in identifying
merit.

This is part of the issue, but I think with a large IPMC and a very large pool of potential
people it's a lot harder to recognise people with merit compared to other PMCs.

Anyone that is brought up for discussion, unless they are well known to several active IPMC
members, doesn't tend to go anywhere. (e.g. see last person I brought up for possible inclusion
in the IPMC).

Its also hard to recognise people who have merit from working in their podling (or even several
podlings) as an IPMC member needs to be active in all of podlings to se that activity.

And finally when we do recognise people, there's probably a greater chance (compared to other
PMCs) that they may not be interested in joining the IPMC as it may be tangential to their
interests.

> (4) As merit is acquired we VOTE on private@incubator.

This proposal including voting for new IPMC members in the usual way.

Thanks,
Justin