incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Crail-1.1-incubating [rc3]
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2018 13:25:51 GMT
Hi,

> Just to clarify the need for build instructions. The documentation is part of the repository:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-crail/tree/master/doc and can be generated with "make
html". Is it sufficient if we point this out in the README? We don't want to duplicate documentation
unnecessarily and we figure just including build instructions in the README would not get
you far since you still would not know how to run/deploy etc.

Having documentation on how to build at a URL which may change over time could be problematic,
what if someone wants to build an old version and docs have changed? Given it’s as simple
as “make html” what’s the harm in putting it in the README? Anything that’s an extra
step (i.e. I need to look this up at a URL) means that someone may not use your software.
I would try and make the release as self contained as possible. That being said it totally
up to the PPMC what to do here.

I would suggest you look again at the NOTICE issue, it might (but it could equally not be)
be considered an issue at graduation in regards to project independence.

Thanks,
Justin