incubator-general mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept the brpc Project into the Apache Incubator.
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2018 19:30:27 GMT
+1 (binding)

> On Nov 8, 2018, at 11:29 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> +1 (binding)
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
>> On Nov 8, 2018, at 11:25 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi -
>>
>> This is a VOTE to accept the brpc Project into the Apache Incubator.
>>
>> It will last for at least 72 hours and will pass if at least 3 +1 IPMC Votes and
more IPMC Votes are +1 than -1.

>> [ ] +1, accept the brpc proposal.
>> [ ] -1, reject the brpc proposal
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> = brpc Proposal =
>>
>> === Abstract ===
>>
>> brpc is an industrial-grade RPC framework for building reliable and high-performance
services.

>> === Proposal ===
>>
>> We propose to contribute the brpc codebase and associated artifacts(e.g. documentation
etc.) to the Apache Software Foundation, and aim to  build a wider open community around it
in the 'Apache Way'.

>> === Background ===
>>
>> The RPC framework used in Baidu before 2014 was developed at 2008 and limited in
protocols and performance, and there were also serveral implementations focused on their own
scenarios from Baidu's different BU. As an infrastructural team in Baidu, we tried to build
a new framework to unify all RPC scenarios inside. The framework was named "baidu-rpc" internally
the early versions were adopted and online at late 2014. The framework was rapidly iterated
at 2015-2017, and thousands kinds of services and almost all core services adopted it. And
in 2017, we opensourced it as "brpc" and hope to get more adoptions and contributions from
outside. At the time of opensourcing, there're more than 1 million instances inside Baidu
using baidu-rpc (not counting clients).

>> === Rationale ===
>>
>> brpc has been approved inside baidu, since many high performance core services are
using it.
>> And since its open source, it has been adopted by several other companies, including
Iqiyi, Didi, Sougou, BiliBili etc.

>> === Current Status ===
>>
>> brpc has been an open source project on GitHub (https://github.com/brpc/brpc <https://github.com/brpc/brpc>)
since 2017.

>> Currently it has more than 7.3k stars, 1.6k forks, and is one of the most popular
repositories in topic of rpc category in GitHub rpc catelogy.
>> It has been widely used in Baidu, with 1,000,000+ instances and thousands kinds of
services.
>> Besides, many other companies have already used it also, such as Iqiyi, Didi, Sougou,
BiliBili etc.

frozen.zju@gmail.com <mailto:frozen.zju@gmail.com>)
<mailto:zhujiashun2010@gmail.com>)
>> * Wang Yao(https://github.com/ipconfigme <https://github.com/ipconfigme> ipconfigme@gmail.com
<mailto:ipconfigme@gmail.com>)

>> === Alignment ===
>>
>> brpc is useful for building reliable and high-performance applications.
>> Since ASF has many famous performance-related and rpc-related projects,
>> we believe that ASF is a perfect choice to help brpc project to attract
>> more developers and users as well as having more cooperation with existing projects.
>>
>> === Known Risks ===
>> ==== Orphaned products ====
>>
>> Since our core developers are from different companies and many companies are using
it,
>> the risk of the project being abandoned is minimal.
>> For example, Baidu is extensively using it in their production environment
>> and many large corporations including Iqiyi, Didi, Sougou, BiliBili use it in their
production applications.

>> ==== Inexperience with Open Source ====
>>
>> brpc has been an active open source project for more than one year.
>> During that time, the project has attracted 30+ contributors and gained a lot of
attention.
>> The core developers are all active users and followers of open source.
>>
>> ==== Homogenous Developers ====
>>
>> brpc was created inside Baidu, but after brpc was open sourced, it received a lot
of bug fixes and enhancements from other developers not working at Baidu.
>> And the core developers now are from different companies now.
>>
>> === Reliance on Salaried Developers ===
>>
>> Baidu invested in brpc as a general rpc framework used in company widely.
>> The core developers have been dedicated to this project for about four years.
>> And after its open source, developers around the world have involved in.
>> Besides, we want more developers and researchers to contribute to the project.
>>
>> === Relationships with Other Apache Products ===
>>

>> === A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===
>>
>> The mission of brpc is to help developers build reliable and high-performance services
quickly and easily.
>> It has been widely used in production environment throughout Baidu and after opensource,
it has gained much attention and attracted developers all over the world.
>> Apache Brand is very respected. We are very honored to have the opportunity to join
ASF, with the understanding that its brand policies being respected.

<https://github.com/brpc/brpc>.

Grant Agreement from an authorized signer per https://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant-template.pdf
<https://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant-template.pdf>

>> === External Dependencies ===
>>
>> brpc has the following external dependencies.
>>
>> * Google gflags (BSD)
>> * Google protobuf (BSD)
>> * Google leveldb (BSD)
>>
>> brpc also includes third party code in the source tree.
>>
>> * https://github.com/brpc/brpc/tree/master/src/butil/third_party <https://github.com/brpc/brpc/tree/master/src/butil/third_party>
(BSD, MIT, MPL, and Public Domain)

<https://github.com/brpc/brpc> to Apache infrastructure like https://github.com/apache/incubator-brpc
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-brpc>.

>> ==== Issue Tracking: ====
>>
>> brpc currently uses GitHub to track issues. Would like to continue to do so while
we discuss migration possibilities with the ASF Infra committee.

>> Currently brpc has no dedicated website except Github homepage. In the future the
website url should be http://brpc.incubator.apache.org/ <http://brpc.incubator.apache.org/>
to follow apache incubator conventions.