incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: [Question] RE40 in Apache Maturity Model Assessment
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2018 14:01:40 GMT
On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 6:23 AM 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu.sheng@foxmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am doing Apache Maturity Model Assessment for SkyWalking, here is the draft[1]. We
have a question in our inside discussion[2].

> RE40
>
> Convenience binaries can be distributed alongside source code but they are not Apache
Releases -- they are just a convenience provided with no guarantee.

> Is this Convenience binaries means nightly release, or snapshot release? We want to make
sure the status we wrote is right.

First of all, an Apache Release means something that has undergone a PMC vote.
I doubt that you vote on everyone of your nightly or snapshot releases
at the PMC
level and hence they can NOT be considered a proper ASF release.

Coming back to your original question: convince binaries simply means
binaries that
PMC had a chance to vote on (just like they do for the source release). Once PMC
votes on a set of binary artifacts they are allowed to be distributed
as part of the
release and they are called "convenience binaries".

Thanks,
Roman.