incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Draft email to member list to try and recruit some new mentors
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2018 14:14:26 GMT
Hi Justin,

Good goal to try to get more mentors.

Considering that some of the members may be unaware of the requirements with regard to mentorship,
I would suggest adding a (short) list of expectations for mentors. The way I think of it,
once established, it's a commitment of attention more than a commitment of time. That is,
mentors need to be aware of what is going on, but need not spend a large amount of time (unless
there is a release coming out).

The formal responsibilities are documented https://incubator.apache.org/policy/roles_and_responsibilities.html#responsibilities_toward_podling_community
<https://incubator.apache.org/policy/roles_and_responsibilities.html#responsibilities_toward_podling_community>
but might not be indicative of the amount of effort needed.

That said, here is my suggested list of expectations once the podling is established:
subscribe to private, dev, and commits lists
scan lists looking for anomalies (dev discussions on private list, bad behavior, etc.)
encourage PPMC members to look for new committers
review/vote on proposed releases
review/approve podling board reports

I'll be the first to say that this is just based on my experience and might not match others'
expectations. But I'd hate to scare away potential mentors because they think being a mentor
is a huge time sink.

Best,

Craig

> On Oct 26, 2018, at 5:53 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’m planning an sending an email to members@ to try and help get a few more mentors
on board.

> Draft email below. Any suggestion of what to add? More reason on why someone would want
to be a mentor would be helpful.

> --------------------------
> Hi,
>
> The incubator PMC needs you!
>
> We have a number of existing podlings [1] and several new podlings starting up at the
IPMC than need mentors.

> As an ASF member all you need to do to become part of the incubator PMC  is to ask. [2]
>
> Some reasons you may want to become a mentor:
> - Share your experience and knowledge.
> - Learn more about the Apache Way and how different projects operate within that.
> - Be actively involved to helping a project become a top level project.
> - Help build a community around a project
> - Polish you skills on reviewing releases.
>
> And, lets be honest, it looks good on a resume :-)
>
> If you would like to be a mentor please contact us.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
> (V.P. Incubator)
>
> 1. Airflow, Annotator, Crail, Daffodil, Edgent, Gearpump, Hivemail, Milagro, Myriad,
ODF toolkit, Omid, Openwhisk, Pony mail, Quickstep, Rya, S2Graph, Samoa, Sdap, Senssoft, Spot,
Tamaya, Tephra, Unomi, Warble and Weex
> 2. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/pmc.html#joining_the_ipmc
> ---------------
>
> Here's are the list of podling project that currently have less than 3 mentors and may
need some help:
> Airflow, Annotator, Crail, Daffodil, Edgent, Gearpump, Hivemail, Milagro, Myriad, ODF
toolkit, Omid, Openwhisk, Pony mail, Quickstep, Rya, S2Graph, Samoa, Sdap, Senssoft, Spot,
Tamaya, Tephra, Unomi, Warble, Weex

> If someone wants to have a go at making Whimsey generate the above list so we can point
potential mentors at it that would be a great help.

> Thanks,
> Justin

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation