incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Guidance : Gitter --> Slack
Date Sat, 01 Sep 2018 02:07:56 GMT
Slack has no F/OSS discounts, but they *do* have a discount for charities
like the ASF. The ASF has not (yet) chosen to purchase a license, though,
as we encourage mailing lists rather than synchronous chat services. We
also want the discussions *recorded* on ASF hardware for archival/review
purposes. Mailing lists are easily archived, but not so easily for chat.

At Apache, chat services should be viewed as *supplemental* to a project's
dev@ list. This is why we're not spending $$ on them. Projects should be
more concerned about keeping discussion on-list, rather than what chat
service to use.

Cheers,
-g