incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jun Liu <liu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Dubbo (Incubating) 2.6.3 [RC5]
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2018 09:13:46 GMT
> Just a quick note for binary release,  it only includes the dubbo
> jars. It could be more convenience for the end user if we can include
> the third party dependencies jars in the binary release.

Yes, this is a point that I have seen some people have also put out in the community, but
sadly, there’s still no progress now. I will file an issue to track it later.

BTW, the vote has lasted for 72+ hours and we have received 3 +1(binding) votes. I will announce
the pass of this vote in a new email and continue to release.

Best regards,
Jun

> On 9 Sep 2018, at 14:56, Willem Jiang <willem.jiang@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sorry, I just got some time back to this thread.
> I just went through the dev discussion of the dubbo and found out
> dubbo community are planning the next release cut by discussion the
> bug fix list first.  I'm sure we could do it better in the next
> release.
>
> Here are my +1 for this vote.
> I can build the code from source.
> The artifacts were signed with right key.
>
> For the UT test error, is only related to system property setting
> which will not effect the end user.
> Just a quick note for binary release,  it only includes the dubbo
> jars. It could be more convenience for the end user if we can include
> the third party dependencies jars in the binary release.
>
> Willem Jiang
>
> Twitter: willemjiang
> Weibo: 姜宁willem
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 9:57 AM Jun Liu <liujun@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I just checked the commit, it relates to system property setting, the
>>> fix is quite simple.
>>> I also checked the CI build, it looks like the CI is green[1]
>>>
>>> But my question is this fix was merged into 2.6.x branch for three
>>> weeks ago,  why didn't we do the cherry pick it into 2.6.3 release
>>> branch last week?
>>> In Apache projects we maintain 2~3 different branches at the same
>>> time, cherry pick the fix acrocess different branches is a common
>>> practice.
>>
>> Thanks for the constructive advice and I agree that check and synchronizing between
different branches are one important aspect we should pay more attention to. I will bring
this discussion to the dev community to attract more committer’s and contributor’s attention
later.

>> For this specific issue, since it’s a known UT bug, I tend to fix it in the next
release and continue with this RC vote.

>> Saying about UT, I’d like to discuss a little bit more about it here: currently,
we have some UTs (3-4 as I know) that are not stable enough themselves, which means they cannot
verify features as expected or they may sometimes mis-warn us with failures limited to their
own bad logic, and even worse over time, we may be less alert to UT failures. I would suggest
we fix these unstable UTs as soon as possible, or at least, if they are not on the schedule
now, we should list all these unstable UTs and the possible failures and reasons for failure
to reduce the confusion of developers and verifiers.

>>> I know Dubbo team takes almost 1 month to cut this round release,  but
>>> it's like a pain of growing. ServiceComb took more than a month to cut
>>> the first around release. We can do the release better if we learn
>>> something from it.  Please revisit your release guide and checklist
>>> again, and encourage community to vote -1 once he find something
>>> wrong.
>>
>> The first release was relatively smooth. But in this release, with all the problems
encountered, we have learned that there’re still some things lacking in the community to
guarantee regular Apache releases with high quality and efficiency. The Dubbo community has
worked on with the following aspects to improve that: