incubator-general mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Email to be sent to inactive mentors
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2018 18:05:22 GMT
By that argument there’s no point speaking at ApacheCon. Because it doesn’t happen on a
mailing list.

So let’s not be so strict.

Clearly there are many ways that a mentor can assist. Some of them are not measurable (such
as having a phone call). But I think any measurable activity should count.

Julian

> On Sep 17, 2018, at 8:55 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 17 September 2018 at 12:10, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Maybe I am missing something here, but how would GitHub contributions contribute
to mentoring?

>> Well I thought it wouldn't which is why I didn’t include it, but as some projects
use GitHub issues a lot, so some stuff tends to get discussed there rather than on the dev
list.

> "If it did not happen on a mailing list then it did not happen"
> If the GitHub issues are not being copied to the mailing lists, then
> again I don't see how that contributes to the mentoring process.
>
>> There’s a few other factors in this case, but I think it’s on it way to being
sorted. I'll bring it to the mentors attention and see what they think. (Sorry for being obtuse,
but this is a public list.)