incubator-general mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Absent mentors
Date Sat, 01 Sep 2018 23:58:44 GMT
There is a strong presumption here that a mentor is fulfilling their duty if and only if they
sign the reports.

I’m skeptical. I can think of cases where an engaged mentor does not sign reports (because
someone else has done it), and vice versa where a disengaged mentor shows up once a quarter
to sign the report.

It may be a bit more difficult to measure, but I think a better indicator would be the number
of messages sent by the mentor to dev and private lists. It indicates both time spent writing
the message and also time spent keeping up with the email traffic to know when the podling
needs help.

Julian

> On Aug 31, 2018, at 5:45 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Coming back to this old thread and coming up with some simple draft emails. Feedback
welcome.

>> Taking a closer look at the data [1] (only accessible by IPMC and ASF members sorry)
it may be a good idea to split the mentors/podlings into groups and draft a different email
for each? For instance:

>> - Mentors who are not signing off reports at all or only occasionally
>
> (sent to mentor)
>
> I can see you are are the mentor of XXX and haven’t been signing off reports on a frequent
basis. Life happens and things change and you may no longer be in the position to be able
to put in the same effort that you once did to mentor this podling. If that is the case perhaps
you would consider stepping down as mentor and/or help find the podling another mentor.

> By my rough count there about 90 mentors :-( who are in this position.
>
>> - Mentors who have missed a few as they it looks like they have too many podlings
on their plate

> (sent to mentor)
>
> I can see you are are the mentor of XXX, YYY and ZZZ and haven’t been signing off all
reports on a frequent basis. While we appreciate your enthusiasm for helping out at the incubator
PMC, perhaps you’ve got busy with other things or you've just taken on too many podlings
to mentor. Would it be better for you and your podlings if you cut back a little on the number
you mentor and let someone else handle the load?

> By my rough count there about 15 mentors who are in this position.
>
>> - Podlings that have a less that 50% (say) sign off rate
>

> (sent to dev or private list)
>
> It looks like your mentors haven’t been signing off board reports as much as they should.
Can you tell us if your mentors are still active or if you need help in any other way?

> By my rough count there about 30 podlings who are in this position. That more than half
the current podlings.

> Those numbers are a lot larger that I expected, but I think we've known that. So they
emails might get some mentors re-engaged and they may get some mentors to resign. The question
may be where do we find mentors to help podlings out if a large number do decide to step down.