incubator-general mailing list archives

From <r...@gardler.org>
Subject RE: Mentor capactity of the incubator
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2018 22:17:59 GMT
For my part I remain an IPMC member, while not having the time to mentor, because I take mentorship
extremely seriously. If I'm not going to be able to read (or at least scan) every mail thread
during the early days and be ready to respond quickly at key stages of the process then I'm
not willing to sign up. What this translates to is I'll only step up when the project has
personal interest to me.

A number of times in recent months I have "nearly" thrown my hat into the ring, only to step
back when I see that there are already mentors on the project that I trust to do a good job.

Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2018 4:29 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Mentor capactity of the incubator

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 2:18 AM Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> For IPMC members who are unable to be a mentor I’m curious to know
> what the reasons are, I’m sure that “not having the time" is probably
> the number one reason, but are is there any thing else stopping member
> (in particular first time ones) from coming forward and volunteering?

For myself, it is because I conflate my personal time into my job time, working on Infra-related
stuff. I've found that I cannot distinguish my ASF time between the two aspects, so cannot
reliably provide dedicated ASF time to personal stuff.

I remain on the IPMC, however, because I *do* find that I can be responsive to Incubator-related
concerns. (and I do the same for other ASF projects; responsive time, rather than allocated
time)

Cheers,
-g