incubator-general mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dealing with Unresponsive Mentors
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2018 00:44:24 GMT
I increasingly tend to agree. However, if we put the onus on PPMCs to police inactive mentors,
there should probably be a documented process in place (which it is [1]).

My concern with that policy is the potential for a chilling effect. Mentors are more often
than not ASF Members. I can easily imagine situations where podlings might avoid such a move
out of fear of offending an ASF Member.

-Taylor

[1] https://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html#removing_a_mentor

> On Aug 29, 2018, at 7:33 PM, Julian Hyde <jhyde@apache.org> wrote:
>
> There was a long thread about absent mentors a few months ago[1]. The consensus on the
thread seemed to be to introduce some metrics. I was and am skeptical of that approach because
it requires constant attention from the IPMC.

> The solution I advocated in that thread is to encourage podlings to ask for help if they
are not getting service from their mentors. And perhaps to add a "Have your mentors been helpful
and responsive?” question to the report template.

> Julian
>
> [1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e80a611ea233a5f854aae5f63374e6490af70a5ecbe886874111037c@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e80a611ea233a5f854aae5f63374e6490af70a5ecbe886874111037c@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E>

>> On Aug 29, 2018, at 1:46 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> What is the process of essentially off-boarding unresponsive and inactive
>>> mentors with the sole aim of attracting new mentors who can inject life
>>> into various aspects of podling maturity?
>>
>> I’d just ask them if they can continue in the role or still have the cycles to
help. If they can’t continue or are unresponsive then just ask for more mentors for the
project on this list.