incubator-general mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Accept DLab into the Apache Incubator
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2018 19:25:32 GMT
Awesome. Thanks Cos. I’ll add you as a mentor.

-Taylor

> On Aug 20, 2018, at 2:11 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <cos@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Looks like I am bit late and vote is closed, but I still want to cast
> my +1 - I have helped this project during my time at EPAM and wish it
> all the success!
>
> If the project needs more mentors at this point - I have some spare
> cycles to burn.
>
> Thanks!
> --
>  With regards,
> Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik
> 2CAC 8312 4870 D885 8616  6115 220F 6980 1F27 E622
>
> Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author,
> and do not necessarily represent the views of any company the author
> might be affiliated with at the moment of writing.
>

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 6:13 PM, P. Taylor Goetz <ptgoetz@apache.org> wrote:
>> The 72 hour voting period has elapsed, and with 4 binding +1 votes and no -1 or 0
votes this vote passes.

>> Vote tally (* indicates a binding vote):
>>
>> +1:
>> - Dave Fisher*
>> - Ted Dunning*
>> - P. Taylor Goetz*
>> - Matt Sicker*
>>
>> Thanks to all who voted. I will begin the bootstrapping process shortly.
>>
>> -Taylor
>>
>>> On Aug 15, 2018, at 12:27 PM, P. Taylor Goetz <ptgoetz@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> After a brief discussion [1] I would like to call a VOTE to accept DLab into
the Apache Incubator. The full proposal is available on the wiki[2] and is pasted below in
text form as well.

>>> This vote will run at least 72 hours. Please VOTE as follows:
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Accept DLab into the Apache Incubator
>>> [ ] +0 No opinion
>>> [ ] -1 Do not accept DLab into the Apache Incubator because…
>>>
>>> -Taylor
>>>
>>> [1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/9c96873d49f53da33260e21dc698f7c9b82eec256caf97a0e3f54943@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
>>> [2] https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DLabProposal
>>>

>>> = DLab Proposal =
>>>
>>> == Abstract ==
>>> DLab is a platform for creating self-service, exploratory data science environments
in the cloud using best-of-breed data science tools.

>>> DLab includes a self-service web console, used to create and manage exploratory
environments. It allows teams to spin up analytical environments with just a single click
of a mouse. Once established, the environment can be managed by an analytical team itself,
leveraging simple and easy-to-use web-based interface.

>>> == Proposal ==
>>> In order to work effectively, data scientists rely on a varying suite of analytics
tools that are readily available. However, many of those tools are non-trivial to set up in
terms of hardware provisioning, software installation, configuration, and deployment. Setting
up a collaborative, multi-tenant development environment for data scientists consumes substantial
IT and DevOps resources, as well as time. These factors often combine to hinder the agility
and effectiveness of data science teams within an organization. Current solutions are largely
closed source and/or proprietary, and committing to a given solution introduces the potential
for vendor lock-in.

>>> EPAM Systems developed DLab in response to the lack of open source, permissibly
licensed solutions to better enable data science workflows. The ALv2 was selected to encourage
open development and user adoption. DLab was open sourced on Dec 29, 2016 and is under active
development with support from EPAM Systems.

>>> We believe DLab is a unique solution with no current open source equivalent.
Our primary goals of incubation are to grow and diversify the DLab community to ensure its
long-term sustainability.

>>> == Rationale ==
>>> DLab is a platform that provides data scientists with the ability to self-provision,
without IT support, exploratory and production environments with their preferred set of tools
installed and pre-configured. Tool options include, but are not limited to:

>>> * Apache Spark
>>> * Apache Flink (planned)
>>> * Apache Zeppelin
>>> * Jupyter
>>> * TensorFlow + Jupyter
>>> * Deep Learning + Jupyter
>>>
>>> DLab leverages cloud computing providers for virtual hardware provisioning and
currently supports the following:

>>> * Amazon Web Services (AWS)
>>> * Microsoft Azure
>>> * Google Compute Platform (GCP) (under development)
>>>
>>> DLab offers git-based collaboration tools for data scientists and developers
and integrates with the following git service providers:

>>> * GItHub
>>> * GitLab
>>> * BitBucket
>>>
>>> Additionally, DLab includes the option to configure the UnGit tool in an environment
to facilitate collaboration.
>>> Finally, DLab integrates closely with many security and SSO offerings, including:
>>>
>>> * LDAP
>>> * Microsoft Active Directory
>>> * AWS Identity Access Management service
>>>
>>> DLab was designed from the ground up to be highly configurable, flexible, and
extensible platform. We believe these qualities will encourage community growth by enabling
contributors to easily add new integrations and extensions.

>>> == Initial Goals ==
>>> The initial goal will be to move the existing codebase to Apache and integrate
with the Apache development process and infrastructure. A primary goal of incubation will
be to grow and diversify the DLab PPMC. We are well aware that the project community is comprised
of individuals from a single company. We aim to change that during incubation.

>>> == Current Status ==
>>> As previously mentioned, DLab is under active development at EPAM Systems, and
is being used in a number of production deployments:

>>> * [An investment company] is using DLab as an AWS-based analytics platform for
their data scientists to provide a convenient way to perform multi-tenant data analytics.
This enables data scientists to easily provision work environments with integrated data sources
based on Elasticsearch, Apache HBase, and Neo4j, and utilizing Apache Spark. This enabled
a “one click”, self service option for users to provision an environment with the necessary
tools and data.

>>> * [An electronics manufacturing company] leverages DLab for data quality, data
exploration, and analytics. The company’s data scientists leverage DLab to work with data
sources that have been transferred to the cloud in order to find new insights on the data,
and help the implementation team define requirements for data engineering. The main goal is
to increase the utilization of various tools by decreasing time to deployment.

>>> * [A retail company] is using DLab as an image recognition framework, to enable
automated restocking of inventory.

>>> * [A travel company] is using DLab to create recommendation engine that will
allow end users to find more relevant accommodations faster and at a lower cost.

>>> === Meritocracy ===
>>> We value meritocracy and we understand that it is the basis for an open community
that encourages multiple companies and individuals to contribute and be invested in the project’s
future. We will encourage and monitor participation and make sure to extend privileges and
responsibilities to all contributors.

>>> === Community ===
>>> DLab is currently being used by developers at EPAM and a gowing number of customers
are actively using it in production environments. By bringing DLab to Apache we hope to broaden
and diversity the user and developer community through open collaboration.

>>> === Core Developers ===
>>> DLab was initially developed at EPAM Systems and is under active development.
We believe DLab will be of interest to a broad range of users and devlopers and that incubating
the project at the ASF will help us build a diverse, sustainable community.

>>> === Alignment ===
>>> DLab utilizes other Apache projects such as Apache Spark, Apache Toree (incubating),
and Apache Zeppelin, along with a number of other Apache libraries. We anticipate integration
with additional Apache projects as the DLab community and interest in the project grows.

>>> == Known Risks ==
>>>
>>> === Orphaned products ===
>>> EPAM Systems is committed to the future development of DLab and understands that
graduation to a TLP, while preferable, is not the only positive outcome of incubation.

>>> Should the DLab project be accepted by the Incubator, the prospective PPMC would
be willing to agree to a target incubation period of 2 years or less, knowing that every Incubator
project incurs a certain cost in terms of ASF infrastructure and volunteer time.

>>> === Inexperience with Open Source ===
>>> Many DLab contributors are already familiar with open source processes and several
of them are committers on other Apache projects. We will be actively working with experienced
Apache community members to improve our project.

>>> === Homogenous Developers ===
>>> The initial committers of DLab all come from EPAM Systems,  though we are committed
to recruiting and developing additional committers from a wide spectrum of industries and
backgrounds.

>>> === Reliance on Salaried Developers ===
>>> It is expected that DLab development will occur on both salaried time and on
volunteer time, after hours. All of the initial committers are paid by EPAM Systems to contribute
to this project. However, they are all passionate about the project, and we are both confident
and hopeful that the project will continue even if no salaried developers contribute to the
project.

>>> === Relationships with Other Apache Products ===
>>> As mentioned in the Rationale section, DLab utilizes a number of existing Apache
projects (Spark, Toree, Zeppelin, et. al.), and we expect that list to expand as the community
grows and diversifies. Any Apache project in the big data, data science, and/or analytics
space would be potentially relevant.

>>> === A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===
>>> We are applying to the Incubator process because we think it is the next logical
step for the DLab project after open-sourcing the code. This proposal is not for the purpose
of generating publicity. Rather, we want to make sure to create a very inclusive and meritocratic
community, outside the umbrella of a single company. EPAM has a long history of contributing
to Apache projects and the DLab developers and contributors understand the implication of
making it an Apache project.

>>> == Required Resources ==
>>>
>>> === Mailing lists ===
>>> * dev@dlab.incubator.apache.org
>>> * commits@dlab.incubator.apache.org
>>> * private@dlab.incubator.apache.org
>>>
>>> === Source control ===
>>> * https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-dlab
>>>
>>> === Issue tracking ===
>>> * JIRA DLab (DLAB)
>>>
>>> == Documentation ==
>>> * DLab Website: http://dlab.opensource.epam.com
>>> * DLab code base: https://github.com/epam/DLab
>>> * DLab Overview: https://github.com/epam/DLab/blob/master/README.md
>>> * DLab User Guide: https://github.com/epam/DLab/blob/master/USER_GUIDE.md
>>>
>>> == Initial Source ==
>>> The DLab codebase is currently hosted on Github: https://github.com/epam/DLab
>>>
>>> == Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ==
>>> The DLab source code in Github is currently licensed under Apache License v2.0
and the copyright is assigned to EPAM Systems. If DLab becomes an Incubator project at the
ASF, EPAM Systems will transfer the source code and trademark ownership to the Apache Software
Foundation via a Software Grant Agreement.

>>> == External Dependencies ==
>>> To the best of our knowledge, all of DLab dependencies are distributed under
Apache compatible licenses.

>>> DLab was designed to be highly extensible, and we expect and encourage the development
of third-party extensions and plug-ins. We also understand that any such component, if it
requires a dependency forbidden by Apache license policy, would not be eligible for inclusion
in an Apache release, and would have to be hosted, supported, etc. outside of ASF infrastructure
and labeled appropriately.