incubator-general mailing list archives

From Von Gosling <vongosl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] IP Clearance
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2018 03:16:47 GMT
I agree the IPMC only should care about podling. But another question, Is it necessary to guarantee
the IP clearance when in TLP, some new TLPs  maybe not realize the importance of this question
:-)

> 在 2018年6月5日,03:30,Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> 写道:
>
> I can see the IPMC being responsible for IP clearance for new incoming podlings and current
podlings.

> For code being donated directly to a current TLP, they should be able to do all that
is required to ensure correct clearance and provenance.

> In other words, unless the code is for a podling, the IPMC shouldn't be involved, IMHO.
>
>> On Jun 4, 2018, at 1:46 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi -
>>
>> I think that the IP Clearance process has become very much a bureaucratic process
where the IPMC is contributing little of value. Very seldom is there any feedback provided.

>> (1) It is separate from the SGA process for new podlings, but it is similar in that
the Secretary will record the SGA and/or CCLA.
>> (2) The documentation is confusing about whether or not podlings need to follow it
or not.
>> (3) Top Level Projects are supposed to understand how to clear IP as that is a major
part of the incubation process. If there are any questions the legal-discuss mailing list
and JIRA are available.
>> (4) The Incubator is already stretched to provide Mentoring to all of our Podlings
and IP Clearance seems to be off topic and not really scalable.
>> (5) Once a TLP graduates from the Incubator it seems regressive to have to go back
unless there is a Community around the grant to be Incubated. That would lead to a Podling
Proposal and not IP Clearance.