incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Pulsar Release 1.22.1-incubating Candidate 2
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2018 16:58:48 GMT
I'll add my own chimes to this discussion.

> On Jun 10, 2018, at 2:57 AM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> I think I agree with Matteo that those protobuf files should not have an ASF header.
Generally changes to a file are under the original license, see [1], but it not a big issue
as BSD is an Category A license and you are including the full license text. It’s also seems
odd because the license calls them out as BSD licensed.

Yes, these files are not being relicensed. Files that are covered by an ICLA by the original
author, or covered by a software grant can be relicensed. In that case, removing the BSD license
header and replacing it by the Apache license header is appropriate.

In this case of a BSD-licensed file that has minor changes, the Apache license header is inappropriate.
The only part of the file that is Apache-licensed is the changes made here. So the Apache
license header that states that this file is "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation ...
under one or more contributor license agreements" is not correct.

The comment line "This file is derived from Google ProcolBuffer CodedInputStream class" is
sufficient documentation, without the Apache license header.

Regards,

Craig

> Thanks,
> Justin